Weak Bladder Blues

8.13.2005

"Yo, I dunno shit about da fuckin' Bwonx"

Well, here I am in NYC, sitting in a barren apartment stealing some poor sap's unencrypted wireless network connection. I'm pretty sure I could totally ravage this guys network if I wanted to, but since he (she?) was nice enough to provide me free internet connectivity, I'll spare the trusting soul my unwarranted wrath.

The red eye was fine. I had a 30 minute layover in Vegas that turned into a hour-and-a-half layover due to a delayed flight to JFK. I took the extra time to play the slots. I turned $40 into $63.50. I then boldly cashed out and collected my Alexander Hamilton and three Georges and giggled with glee. I slept most of the way from Vegas to JFK. I got an exit seat right by the boarding door to the plane. I had all the leg room I could ask for and was also the very first person off the bird in NYC.

After getting my luggage I grabbed a cab to the Bronx where school and my apartment are. I was expecting to pay at least $60 from JFK to the Bronx. The whole fare was only $36, add in tip and the ass-raping toll the bridge took and I got here for about $50. That little pull of the slot machine in Vegas paid for half the cab to my place. I also expected it to take me a couple hours to get to my place with waiting for luggage, waiting for a cab, getting lost with the cabbie and checking in with security to get my keys. From wheels down at JFK to getting into my apartment: 45 minutes. So I got here at 8:30, my roommates are still asleep I assume, and I took a bout a 90 minute nap.

I had a great cabbie. He explained that it will be cheap to go to the Bronx from the airport b/c generally cabs usually only run from JFK and La Guardia to Manhattan. For this quick run, there is a flat rate of $45. He said that there is no flat rate between JFK and the Bronx, so you're on the meter the whole time. I asked him some general questions about NYC and he was very friendly and talkative. When I asked him about the Bronx, he grew surly and blurted out "Yo, I dunno shit about da fuckin' Bwonx". I guess he's a Mets fan.

Well, I need to go explore my new city. Hopefully I will find a grocery store, my tank is empty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home