Weak Bladder Blues

7.12.2005

"See ya buddy, you're a ball player."

Well, today was not the happiest of days. I play a lot of softball, A. LOT. I play coed ball, men's ball, and for the LGBT club, I play on an all women team, but keep that on the down-low, else I face disqualification (just Google LGBT if you're confused).

My Monday night team is a men's novice team. Understand that in N. Cali, men's novice level teams can kick the holy crap out most other advanced teams in the nation. OK, so I've only played ball in WI and AZ, but these CA novice teams are phenomenal. I've been on this particular team for about 8 seasons. That's really only 2 years, since we can play year round here. But the guys I play with are easily the closest friends I've made out here in sunny CA. They are easily the best players I've played with. It's one of those teams where you are expected to play well, where errors are laughed at only after the game, and any heated arguments during the game are forgotten once the game is done. It's pure testosterone-fueled latent joy.

Tonight was the first game of the summer season. Our regular pitcher was gone so I took the mound and threw 4 innings of shutout ball. We ended up winning easily. As the game wound down, I realized that I have maybe 3 more games to play with these guys. After the game we went up to the club for our usual post-game beer. One of the guys mentioned that he was going on vacation for the next 2 weeks and that he won't be back until the second week of August. I knew then that I would probably never see him again in my entire life.

I didn't mention anything to him, but as we were leaving he shook my hand and said "See ya buddy, you're a ball player." I'm sure he realized too that we would never play ball again together and most likely never even meet again. He paid me what is the greatest compliment given at the ball field: you're a ball player. As in "you see that guy over there? Watch him, he's a ball player," or "I wish I had that guy on my team, he's a ball player!" Over the next 3 weeks, I'm going to have to say goodbye forever to all the guys on the team. I know there are ball players in New York and I hope I meet some ball players there as good as the ball players I know here.

3 Comments:

At 12:11 AM, Blogger Joe said...

You are a ball player, Quagmire, you are, indeed... you play with your balls constantly.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Quagmire said...

Hey, how about along with the white sugar and white flour and caffiene and booze, you make it complete and give up your douche-baggery too?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Joe said...

If I gave up douchebaggery, I would cease to exist, my friend.

I would take it a step beyond ball player, and say that you are a supreme ball juggler, Quagmire.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home