Weak Bladder Blues

5.17.2006

Kidneys man, like, whoa

I was a little let down by the bodies exhibit. As I anticipated, I could not take photos, sorry. I think because I spent 4 months dissecting a human cadaver myself, my level of knowledge was at a level far beyond the intended audience for the show. I also found quite a few errors in their labeling of structures. So I think my own expectations were too high. My fault. With that being said, they did have a lot of pathological specimens that I would never have seen without the show. They showed all the organs and how disease affects them, like the damage to the lungs from smoking, stomach ulcers, strokes, cirrhoses of the liver, etc. The best thing though was the circulatory system casts. They take a human body and inject some kind of polymer into the vasculature and let it harden. They then dissolve away all the flesh from the hardened polymer so that all that is left is the branching of the arteries and veins of the body. It was so cool to see the blood supply patterns of all the organs. The kidneys are amazingly finely vascularized. Mind blowing. So, if you get a chance to go see the exhibit, it will definitely be worth it. Just don't expect to see every little detail of anatomy described.

At the end of the exhibit they have this dude answering questions about the show. He was innocuous enough, but his intonation was nerve grating. It was exactly like the voice of the guy in the movie American Splendor. In the movie, the main character, Harvey Pekar, has a friend at work named Toby Radloff. Toby is a self-proclaimed nerd and has a stilted, almost autistic way of speaking. It is similar to the way Comic Book Guy talks in The Simpsons. Anatomy boy tonight had the same voice. I wanted to beat him over the head with a plasticized spleen.

1 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Rest assured that my digust will be regirstered ver the world wide web within minutes.

Worst.

Episode.

Ever.

===
===

When do you-a depart-a for Jakarta?

I know it will be difficult, what with all the dirt and flies, but update from there if you can.

Barring that, keep a journal. It sounds like an adventure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home